The Parish of St Erme is named after St Hermes who was beheaded in Rome on 28th August 132 A.D. The Parish of St. Erme was taxed in the Doomsday Roll in 1087A.D. The church tower and font are believed to be 750 years old but the church itself was built in 1500's. The Methodist Church was built in 1846 and the first school in 1878 with around twenty pupils which functioned for well over 100 years when it was replaced by the present school.
Throughout the years nearly every family was dependent on agriculture. Between the 1700s and 1919, John Collins and his descendants owned 90% of the Parish along with most houses in Trispen and Churchtown.
There were two pubs, two shops, two blacksmiths and a bicycle repair shop and its own resident Policeman. Electricity and sewage came to the village mid 1900's.
St Erme Parish is 4 miles north of Truro and comprises of 4256 acres of land. The council first met in 1894, before this St Erme Parochial Church Council looked after the parish affairs. Its neighboring parishes are St Newlyn East, Ladock, Probus, St Clement, and St Allen. St Erme’s last census in 2011, recorded a population of 1208.
Trispen is the main village, and Churchtown was known as the area surrounding St Erme Church.
Between1977-1986 St Erme saw major development with over 300 houses being built known as Trevispian Parc which now joins Trispen and Churchtown together.
In 1996 the village of Trispen was bypassed by the A39.
At St Erme there is now St Erme Church, Trispen Methodist Church, St Erme & Trispen CP Primary School, Trispen Post Office and Stores, a Public House, Trencreek Park, a Village Hall and a Community Centre, Sports and Recreation Ground.
There is an active community with 16 local organisations offering a wide range of activities for all ages. Please take a look on our ‘Local Organisations’ page.